Image: Frank Body
You can spend all the money in the world on pricey serums and innovative masks but if you're not taking the time to thoroughly cleanse your face morning and night then you won't be getting the full effects from your skincare. Think about it, if your serum is getting held at the doorway to the nightclub by makeup- and dirt-shaped bouncers, then they're not getting in. Not to mention that pollution particles in the air have been linked to premature skin ageing and that trapped dirt can cause unwanted blemishes. A gentle cleanse will unclog pores and exfoliate the skin leaving it feeling clean and fresh.
A few minutes, morning and night, are all it takes. But read the following tips to ensure you're washing your face right before you head to the basin.
1) Always wash your hands first. That way you're not adding any unnecessary dirt and grime into the mix.
2) Use warm water. Anything too hot can dry out your complexion or cause flare-ups for anyone with rosacea or sensitive skin.
3) A simple wash and go in the morning is all you need. You will have cleansed the night before and, as long as you're not sleeping on a really old pillowcase, you shouldn't have picked up much grime in the night just a little perspiration. A simple one-step cleanse will suffice.
4) At night double cleanse. This simply means cleansing twice. The first cleanse is all about removing makeup and dirt, if you use a white flannel or muslin cloth you'll be able to see when all the makeup has gone. The second cleanse ensures you have removed every last scrap of grime and gives the cleanser the chance to get right down into your pores for a deeper clean. Use a damp cloth with this cleanse too and you'll be giving your skin a gentle exfoliation.
5) Really work your cleanser in. Massaging the skin in gentle circular motions will help the cleanser slough away pollution particles and toxins that can cling to skin. Massaging your cleanser is important whether you're doing a single or double cleanse plus it helps to boost circulation and, in turn, skin glow too.
6) Don't over cleanse. While a simple wash and go in the morning and a double cleanse at night is important, especially if you live in the city, you don't want to overdo it with harsh formulas. Try to opt for a gentle cleanser that won't strip your complexion.
7) Find the right cleanser for you. Keep scrolling to find the cleanser for your skin type.
For Dry/Mature Skin:
100 percent natural and 99 percent organic this cleanser is packed with oils like grapeseed, blue chamomile and jasmine sambac to nourish and hydrate dry or mature skin. The natural aromas also help to relax you after a busy day.
For Dull Skin:
If your skin looks a little dull and lacklustre, try this caffeine-packed creamy cleanser that boosts the skin's microcirculation so it appears invigorated and glowing. Charcoal acts as a magnet to dirt and grime which helps boost radiance, whilst a cocktail of oils including coconut increases skin hydration.
For Congested Skin:
If your skin is congested and spot-prone look to this oil-rich cleanser. Oil attracts oil, so this will draw away the excess sebum on the skin without leaving it feeling dry or tight. It contains antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich plant and essential oils that leave your complexion feeling calm and happy. A multi-tasker, you can even use it as a nourishing night treatment.
For Sensitive Skin:
This clever foam cleanser contains purslane which is known to boost collagen production, alongside urea which is naturally present in healthy skin and helps retain moisture. Aloe vera and panthenol soothe the complexion making this an ideal pick for anyone with sensitive skin.
For all Skin Types:
Want a good all-rounder? Then look no further than this pH balanced cleanser by Josh Rosebrook. It contains natural ingredients that gently but effectively remove dirt, bacteria and sebum. It's packed with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial ingredients that leave your complexion calm and protected.